- It takes a real man to admit he is wrong.
- A real man is a daddy, any fool can be a father.
- A real man keeps his commitments.
- A real man makes his child laugh more than his child cries.
- A real man says “I love you” more than “I’m sorry”.
- A real man makes his lady shake with ecstasy more often than in fear.
- A real man honors his responsibilities.
- A real man commits himself to anything he can do to help.
- A real man can fold his wife’s underwear.
- A real man forgets what is macho.
- A real man doesn’t mind not having grandchildren, he only wants his child to be happy.
- A real man is more concerned with the makeup of his lady’s soul than the makeup on her face.
- A real man will love his lady, whether or not she can provide a child of his genetic structure for him to gloat over. (By Rhonda Skipper)
- A real man understands that his child is his child, and that just because his child does not have the same genes as him does not make that child less his. (By Rhonda Skipper)
- A real man does not need a child to prove his bedroom prowess. (By Rhonda Skipper)
- A real man knows how to and can change a dirty diaper. (By Snowl’s Husband)
- A real man can cook a meal… and clean up from it afterward. (By Snowl’s Husband)
- A real man likes to keep his teeth in his head, not a jar. So a real man does not try to tell his family who and what to worship simply because he can. (Thanks Dad)
- A real man does not wake his exhausted wife up just to have sex with her. (By dj88)
- A real man can put his children to sleep. (By dj88)
- A real man can and does cry and can speak from his heart with passion. (By Mantas)
This is a list that came to me while I was in a Laundromat, doing the family clothes. I had been folding my wife’s bras along with my daughter’s, hanging up my clothes and noticed some of the men there looking at me in sympathy. I realized that they though less of me because I was folding bras and panties, as if that somehow made me “unmacho” or “less of a man”. I realized just how much time, effort and energy the male has invested in the illusion of “macho”. Like holding your lady’s purse while she is in the bathroom will make your masculine parts fall off, like buying a box of tampons at the grocery store will make a guy grow breasts.
Gentlemen, it’s time to reclaim our real machismo, not thorough staying away from anything feminine, but through actually honoring our sense of self, acting in the manner that is best for everyone, trying to make the world a better place, and passing that along to our sons, so they don’t feel embarrassed to purchase a tube of lipstick or a pair of pantyhose for their ladies.
If you have a good couplet to add to this list, please send it in to daven@erinsjournal and I will read it over and see if it’s appropriate. I DO claim final say in whether or not it goes up here.
Update 11-11-09: This list has been reprinted in Isaac Bonewits’ book “The Pagan Man”. The following list was written by my daughter a few months back and left as a “sticky note” on my computer desktop for me.
- A real man can make an informed opnion about a subject, instead of going with the mass’ opnions
- A real man can teach and tell stories
- A real man can understand and accept real women
- A real man is only cruel when he has to be, and does not take joy from it
- A real man is both loving and fearing of his gods
- A real man can take advise with an open mind
- A real man can see both good and ill
- A real man likes to hold and caress his family
- A real man supports his family though emotional crises
- A real man has the respect of real women
- A real man accepts his faults and the faults of others
- A real man asks for help and guidance from others
- A real man is my Papa
Originally posted 2012-07-25 01:11:30. Republished by Blog Post Promoter