Index of The Tree
A Seax-Wican Book of Shadows
Greetings and welcome to my own journal of rites, ceremonies and things that I think are important! I have worked on this for quite a long time, and it is a pleasure for you all to see this.
I hope this document helps you all out in your quest for knowledge and information, as this information has helped me in my studies. We all are a part of a cycle of sharing of knowledge and learning's to the other generations that will come after us. Even if you bookmark my site and everything in it, I hope that you print it out so to share it with those who do not have computers.
It's not that big, really. (Update Oct 1, 2002 Well, okay, maybe it really IS that big. Sorry.)
One thing that slapped me upside the head when I was doing this section was this: I have moved beyond many of these ceremonies and rites for now. Learning does that, you leave the comfortable behind to find other things that make you feel comfortable now. So, I have grown beyond the teachings of Raymond Buckland and learned some greater truths on my own. Because of that, I don't necessarily do the rites and rituals described in here any longer. However, I do still retain the knowledge and still work within these parameters when I do a ritual. Mostly, I "wing it" when I do a ritual. I let the Spirit move me as to what comes next, and what I should be saying or doing. Usually it's a more accurate guide for what I want to express.
Originaly I had a copy of Buckland's Rituals here, whole and complete, taken almost completely (with a little tweaking) from the book. I had assumed this was alright since he says in a couple places in his books that the rituals in the Tree are freely available to all. I took that to mean that it was alright to copy his rituals and to republish them.
Some friends helped me see the error of my ways in that. While Seax-Wica is not a tradition that keeps it's rituals a secret, I also don't think that what I did was right. I violated my own rule from above (my copyright statement) and I'm NOT excusing myself at all.
I want to republish the rituals I use here, but since they are clones of Buckland's I can't without running into problems. When I get time enough to write my own, I will include those. Until then, what is below is either my own work, work of those who I have permission to republish it, documents in which I have obeyed their requests as in their copyright statements, or unatributed works that I can't find the authors on, or who I cannot contact for one reason or another.
(Update 5-27-2005) I just managed to secure permission from Raymond Buckland to republish The Tree's rituals (and ONLY the rituals) here. I have noted Buckland's Copyright on the appropriate pages and note that the deities are different from the original publication.
You see, Seax-Wica is not an oath-bound tradition. We are open with our rituals and knowledge. There are some sections included in his book that I did not copy to put into my copy of the Tree, and I suggest that you go out and get a copy for yourself if you are interested in such things. It will at least show you what other people do, and how they do it.
In "orthodox" Seax-Wican tradition, The god is Woden and the goddess is Freya. I know they sound like they came out of the myths of the Norse, but the Saxons basically developed from the Norse. However, since I am more comfortable with the Celtic Deities, I chose Herne as the God, and Rhiannon as the Goddess.
As to why it's called "The Tree"? Well, books are made out of wood, pulped wood, and Raymond decided that "Book of Shadows" was too chilling and reminiscent of an older time when we had to hide, so he decided to call this book something that sounded nicer, and was more iconoclastic than the "Book of Shadows", hence, The Tree. Doesn't that just SOUND better?
It has also been brought to my attention that Buckland may also have been invoking the World Tree, Yggdrasil in an attempt to bring more of the ancient spirituality to the tradition, along with invoking Saxon mythology. See, the Saxons were basically (from my understanding) the later form of the Norse. They came from the same basic ethnic groups, and developed into the Swiss, the Germans and the Saxons. I think. I'm not an expert in this field, so I could easily be wrong. Don't take my word for it.
All of this information can be found in my own Book of Shadows at home. And it is what I plan on passing on to my daughter.
- “Tish! You Typed French!”
- A Samhain Poem
- A Samhain Ritual
- Beltane Sabbat
- Birth Rite
- Cakes and Ale
- Call to Quarters
- Ceremony of Parting
- Chants and Songs
- Child’s Proverbs
- Christianity for the Perplexed Pagan
- Cleansing of a Place
- Clearing the Temple
- Commentaries on Magick
- Compiled Imbolic Information
- Consecration of Items and Tools
- Coven Initiation
- Daven’s Meditation
- Daven’s Recommended Reading List
- Death Rite
- Drawing and Grounding Energy
- Erecting the Temple
- Esbat Ceremony
- Ethics and Morals
- Full Moon Rite
- FUThARK Rune Info
- General Notes on All Rituals
- God vs. Satan
- Goddess Faces
- Goddess? Are You Real?
- Herbal Cough Tea
- How to Get Started in Wicca
- I am a Priest (poetry)
- I’ll have to tell Mark Congratulations
- Imbolic Sabbat
- Important Lessons Life Teaches You…
- Information on Celtic Etiquette
- Litha (Midsummer or Summer Solstice) Sabbat
- Long Distance Healing
- Lughnassdad Sabbat
- Mabon (Autumn Equinox) Sabbat
- Moon Manners: Etiquette for Group Rituals
- My altar, let me show you
- My Circle of Stones
- NeoPagans and Star Trek
- Non-standard Deities in Traditional Wicca
- Notice of Disassociation
- On Being a Priestess of the God
- On picking your battles
- Ostara (Spring Equinox) Sabbat
- Pagan Clerics
- Pathways: An Essay on the Freedom of Religion
- Patrick’s Rune
- Perceived Relationships with the Gods
- Personal cleansing
- Protected: Protected Magickal directory
- Relationships with the Deities
- Rhiannon, The Lady of the Birds
- Ritual of Warding
- Ritual participation
- Rune Information
- Rune Interpretation Cheat Sheet
- Samhain Sabbat
- Protected: Secrets For the Future
- Self Dedication
- Sex Magick
- Shielding a Person
- Shields and Wards
- Simplified Spellcasting
- So, you’re new to the forum…
- Song to Awake Rhiannon
- Specific Ritual Comments
- Suggested Altar layout Our Altar Layout
- TEMPLES, COVENS AND GROVES OH MY!
- The Battle For Your Mind
- The Burning Times Myth
- The Charge of the Hunter
- The Complete Story of Mark Ventimiglia
- The Craft of the Wise
- The Creed of Seax-Wica
- THE DEATH OF LLEW
- The Dianic Legend of the Pentagram
- The Doctrine of Feline Sedentation
- The Elements of Erin
- The Faces of The Lord
- The Five Brothers
- The Four Faces
- The Inner Child
- The Lord Herne
- The path of the magician
- The Real Origins of Halloween 1 of 2
- The Real Origins of Halloween Part 2 of 2
- The Soap Opera of Mark Continues….
- The Story of Father Yule
- The Truth about the Runes
- The Wheel of the Year
- The Witches Pyramid, To Know
- The Witches Pyramid; To Dare
- The Witches Pyramid; To Keep Silent
- The Witches Pyramid; To will
- They Came for Me
- To Whom It May Concern:
- Tools and Magick
- Various notes on Sabbat and Esbat Rites
- We All Come from the Goddess
- Weaver Weave Your Circle
- Wicca and Death
- WING OF NEWT
- Witches test tolerance
- Ye May Not Be A Witch Alone!
- Yule (Winter Solstice) Sabbat